Sunday

'Go Visit Weekend'


Today I want to show you some of my photos from the collection of Islamic art in the museum 'Davids Samling'/The David Collection. The Islamic collection covers virtually the entire classical Islamic world, from Spain in the west to India in the east, and spans the period from the 8th to the 19th century. The Collection of Islamic Art is by far the largest of its kind in Scandinavia and is among the ten most important in the Western world. I must say that I was most impressed by the books and the drawings; The number of details were beyond this world.
So sorry for the poor quality of the photos; the lightning was so, so, so dim.....

The museum’s founder Christian Ludvig David (1878-1960)



I just have to say that this glass animal is a
small bottle believed to be from the 7-9 cent. Syria
This cute fellow stole my heart!


















2 comments:

☆sapphire said...

Hi, Aputsiaq.

Fantastic post!! I like to see ancient artifacts very much. The lions motif of the fourth photo is from Iraq? As far as I can remember, Mesopotamian civilization(Sumerians,etc.)had lots of lion motifs since about 5000 years ago. I always wonder what it would have been like on the lands of "Fertile Crescent". Rains falling heavily and lots of lions wandering there, perhaps.

Your favorite glass animal is so cooooool! All the floral designs are very lovely. What a coincidence that I have been reading about Islamic history lately. Thank you so much!! I enjoyed it a lot.

Aputsiaq said...

Sapphire, you always have such a great knowledge about everything, and I just love your informative and warm comment! I'm glad you like it although the photos are so blurred.

I too often look at artifacts and I'm captured by their beauty, but too often I forget to read about them (I'm a bit embarrassed to say....). OR later on I forget what I've read, but still remember the objects! Oh dear...

So Sapphire, as far as I remember the 'lion bowl' actually was from Iraq! And I do remember a lot of other lions: small sculptures, sewn, painted, paper cuts, tiles, dishes....and the most beautiful colours: all shades of green and turquiose...almost like the sea.

I've though about visiting Davids Samling again (and it is free!) - the collection is so fine and there are many new details to be discovered!

Thanks again Sapphire! ;O)))