Wednesday

'Their fingers are their eyes'


Blind adults are listening to a short lecture at Sunderland
Museum before examining a human skeleton


Here is an example of a blind person 'seeing' through
touch of a skeleton at Sunderland Museum


From 1913, John Alfred Charlton Deas, a former curator at
Sunderland Museum, organised several handling sessions
for the blind, first offering an invitation to the children from
the Sunderland Council Blind School, to handle a few of the
collections at Sunderland Museum, which was ‘eagerly accepted’

Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums, UK
The museum's flickr is here



A group of blind children feeling the stuffed walrus at
Sunderland Museum, so they can 'see' what it looks like.


Here is a young girl who is blind - examining mounted
birds at Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens


How we show our museums to the blind. Boys
examining a Buddha at Sunderland Museum


Here are three blind children examining a mounted
polar bear at Sunderland Museum

6 comments:

Clarissa Rodriguez said...

At the time of my childhood, we had a friend of our age, who was blind, Eduardo - "Lalo".
Your post made ​​me remember.
He was very special, with much skill in his hands, his very sensitive ears and his heart full of kindness.
It was amazing to remember through your pictures.

Thanks a lot!

Aputsiaq said...

Hi Clarissa! A trip back memory lane...wonder where he is today and what he is doing? While I read your comment I thought about who people pass through our lives...and how we only keep a few of them as our life-long friends...

Clarissa Rodriguez said...

Many people who pass through our lives go away ... but some arrive and some stay (thank God). Life is like a river that leaves flowers on the shore but is ongoing.
From "Lalo" never knew. He lived with his grandmother and then took him to a blind-home in Santiago, Chile.

Have a nice weekend!!!

Aputsiaq said...

So true, so true...and I love the 'image' of the river...it describes so well how it is!

yolanda said...

I AM A CHILD (children in art history) http://iamachild.wordpress.com/
dear friend, as a good lover in the world of art and photography I recommend this blog is all related to the world of children.
ami I found fabulous, full of artistos great, and everything tastes reflect the tenderness and innocence of children.
there are pictures that are true gems .... in my opinion I thought you like them, so I dare recomendartela,
Best wishes and a hug from friend who likes you SPAIN.
YOLANDA Rutte.

Aputsiaq said...

Hi Yolanda, I AM A CHILD is such an amazing blog...I know it already, but thank yoy so, so much for the link and for thinking of me! I AM A CHILD blog the beautiful images, and i often blog some of the images!